Friday, October 11, 2013

Demonstration Lab




 "How to replace a float"





 For my demonstration lab, I choose to demonstrate how to replace a carburetor float.  My bellwork for this lab was to project a picture of a rusty log splitter sitting outside.  I ask students to identify one thing that stood out to them when they first looked at the picture and to identify two possible problems with this engine.

This is a lesson that I will be using in my advanced single-cylinder class.  I transitioned from my bellwork into my interest approach.  My interest approach was to read off a scenario, from a customer regarding their engine.  The students were given a job sheet with the scenario typed into it.  I used the job sheet for the small gasoline engines CDE.  The students were then given a brief period to develop a thought regarding what was wrong with the engine.

I spent a lot of time preparing and practicing this lab.  I was very happy with that I didn't forgot any parts of my lesson.  However I did fail to advance my slides to display my objectives prior to giving the demonstration.

I seem to be lacking enthusiasm and energy during my teaching.  I am really struggling with this is lab, the only reason I can come up with is that I am being recorded.  I was really worried that I had an issue until fall leadership.  At fall leadership conference, I felt like a different person I was excited and happy.  I would love some input on how to pep-up my labs!!  I want to be a dynamic educator and I want students to be excited about my class.

I really felt confident going into this lab.  I realize that I shut down a lot of students questions.  I found myself afraid to start answering questions due to time.  I was nervous I was going to run out of time if I started down that path.


4 comments:

  1. Hi Mindy,

    So as far as being enthusiastic and energetic goes, i think that being there for the students should be your top priority, when the students know you're there for them it will "warm" up the atmosphere. Also, never be afraid to answer students questions due to time, granted we have so much time to get through these lessons, but when we're actually teaching there will be days that a lesson takes longer than we anticipated and if it's because students were asking questions and trying to learn then its okay! Since this is practice for us we shouldn't practice a way we wouldn't want to actually perform. And as far as the videotaping restricting you from your top performance, I have a hard time believing that is the problem. It may just be a matter of projecting you're feelings onto you're students. When you're students are excited and trying to learn and ask questions that what you get excited about and if it takes you down a different path of learning than be excited about that too. It's possible that by trying to get a certain amount of information into a period of time and you worry about that than yeah, its going to be hard to project enthusiasm and energy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mindy, first let me say I thought your demo was really cool because I had no idea that you could do that with a carburetor so I learned something new and cool! I also think that the answering questions will come with time. Allowing students to ask questions and really explore the topic we are learning on is a skill that will come with practice and time. I think that right now we are all just worried about getting our content out and in the time limit we have. Once we actually get a feel for our classes and see what our students are like and how inquisitive they really are, will allow us to grow and answer questions! Enthusiasm is going to come with time too! I thought you were a lot more enthusiastic this lab than you have been in previous but like I said practice makes perfect! As a side note I really liked how you used pictures for your job operations sheet! Not only was it colorful and easy to follow along with it also appeals to visual learners!! Good job! Keep up the good work, each time we do this we get better and better! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mindy,

    It seems like a really well-planned lesson! As far as objectives, maybe think about writing them on the board so that students (and you) can refer to them during the lesson.

    As far as enthusiasm... I'll trade some enthusiasm for your CONFIDENCE! Remember, we all have weaker areas but appreciate what comes so naturally to you as well. Also enthusiasm is not always a bouncing, smiling person in the front of the room. Try relating to students personally by referring to an individual's story or interest, or throw in a corny joke when needed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Mindy,
    Your demo in lab was great! Enthusiasm and excitement are thing that you have to work on as you pointed out. That is something that comes with time for most. you mentioned you had it at fall leadership conference. That may be due to the fact that you were in a room full of students which was new and brought that excitement level. Just keep working on trying to bring it out of you and you will get there! As for the questions, they are essential to answer especially if they are pertaining to the topic. That helps students learn the most so you don't want to shut them out. If you run out of time, you just bump the lesson to the next day to finish it up quickly and move to the next lesson.

    ReplyDelete